Sep 4, 2006, 9:27 PM: Happiness begins with the letter "Z"
Listening to: Dance Halls Turn to Ghost Towns, The Audition
Thinking: Panic attacks aren't good things.
Craving for: -Grins-
The following post contains MANY MANY pictures lovingly and professionally taken by MELISSA'S DAD.
So... I shall take this time to THANK MELISSA'S DAD, for being so KIND and GENEROUS for giving me the photos. Thank you so much. :)
WELL then... I guess you all are wondering... "why is Jolena so happy all of a sudden??" well... Observe....
So yeah, SUNDAY, SEPT 3RD was the one, the only...
Z GALA 2006.
So Melissa's parents picked me up and then we went off to pick up Maxyne and we were on our way to the Swiss Club. But before that, we made a pit stop at the Petrol Station for some food. Then it was off to the Swiss Club and into the Sports hall, where we were greeted by... THIS.


Yeah... 10 sweet fencing pistes, all made to give us the feel of a real fencing tourney.
So anyway, we began by changing into our gear...

Then there was a breifing...
Well... we were split into 2 groups of 6. Each group played a round robin, where each of us were ranked. Well... I didn't really do that well for the round robin... cause I was friggin nervous and I was practically shaking under my plastic bra. But... not as bad as Melissa, she dropped her Sabre for no apparent reason. Didn't really do well... I won 3, lost 2... just cause I kept beating someone's forte... and yeah, I was just friggin nervous. OH! And that hearing-impared girl from 4.7 was there too! She's been fencing sabre for like... 4 years already... and well, we all thought it was pretty unfair that she was fencing against us newbies. I mean, we've only been training for less than a year! But yeah... more on her later. haaha... now for low resolution pics on the round robin thing.


then it was the guy's turn.

Ken's lame cracks me up. HAHA... idiot.
Well... then after watching for awhile... it was time for the....... DIRECT ELIMINATIONS. Which means that we play until 15, if you loose, you're out. If you win, you're in the next round. Well...
Mel fought well... she won Sharmaine, and then went on to beat Esther which sent her to the semi-finals against.... -hehe, yours truly-

Mel during the direct eliminations.
Well... I had to play against Pooja and Kim to get into the semis. I played against Pooja before lunch, after that, we had a photo taking session!
Pooja vs. Me in the direct eliminations.

left to right:
The awesome Coach Min, the not-so-awesome Melissa, and the awesome-er than Mel- coach Xiao Na.
GROUP SHOTS!

Oh my.... there's this cute guy... He's in the photo, but I just had to make it small... hahaha. He won the Men's Foil Champion, not sure which age group but ahhh... he's just so cute! ahhhhh!!! :p
well... then it was LUNCH.

well then, after lunch, we continued with the direct eliminations. Mel eliminated Esther, while I eliminated Kim in the quater-finals, where we faced off in the semi-finals. But I have to say, Kim fought well...
SEMI-FINALS

Well... hmm... It was a good fight, really, but it would've been a better fight if it weren't for the external distractions :p. But yeah, eventually... yeah. lets just say, ehhh haha, its just so awkward to say it... but yeah... haha, gosh my ego is inflating. I bet you get who won now eh??
Well then, that's all for the photos. My camera's with Maxyne so all my photos are with her, but yeah...
Anyway, after waiting long, we had the novelty event. We were randomly paired up with people, and we had to fence 2 aganst 2 with epees, which is another weapon used in fencing. It was fun. Cause I got burst Daniel's bubble, and yeah... it was fun doing epee, but we Sabreists were really at a disadvantage cause we don't thrust in Sabre, we SLICE or CUT. Haha, foilers do a mixture of both. Haha... anyway, yeah... Mel came in 2nd I think. haha, first was some foiler. haha.
My mom and sister came... but they had to leave even before I could fence the finals, so basically, they came jsut to watch the novelty event. Hahah, such a waste. Mel's family and Maxyne left too, so yeah.
Well then, after all of that, we had to sit for some seminar about fencing. And wow... it was scary. They talked about how Z fencing came about... yadda yadda, then they called for the Women's Sabre finalists which was me and that girl from 4.7 in our school. So yeah, we went up and we had to do a little demonstration for them. I was so friggin nervous I even forgot where my en garde line was! And I stood en garde at the 5m line instead. Gosh, and to do that infront of EVERYONE... including that cute guy, whom I found out, was named PAUL, haha, t'was friggin embarrassing.
So yeah, we showed them how a right-of-way is achieved and how a point is awarded. So yeah, then the host gave his called for Coach Min and DUM DUM DUM...
It was time to fight the finals.
Well... lets say I was fine at the beginning, I was actually in the lead! but for like, the first 4 points. Then after that I had no idea why... but I think I suffered from a panic attack and she caught up... and overtook me, until it was like 8-4 or 8-3 I'm not too sure. But yeah, so yeah.. I tried to collect my self, and it worked for like the next 2-3 points, then she caught up again and won me 15-8.
THAT WAS THE MOST INTENSE BOUT EVER. But yeah... I mean, I didn't really expect to win anyway, cause she's been fencing for like 4-2 years already, while we've been fencing for like, 7 months. Its strange how she's not in grade 2 yet... haha. She knows how to do that cool jumping thingy! Haha, ok nevermind.
Haha, well after my bout was the Men's Foil final. Not quite sure what age group it was but... Paul was in it. And so was Indie... or however you spell his name. The strange thing was... Indie was a left hander too, and he was originally in the lead. Then yeah, he lost 15-8... just like I lost 15-8 to her. Strange coincidence. Haha. Anyway, after that, we dolled up (not exactly but yeah) for dinner, which was... HEAVEN. I love the spagetthi. Or maybe I was just extremely hungry. Then yeah, they played truth or dare, which was fairly entertaining. Yes, there was some exposure of skin, and yes, there was some kissing. (Martin and Indiana, yes they're both boys and yes, I know, its gross) oh, and yes, there was pole dancing, number asking, cat walking and other things you do during truth or dare. Haha
After that, we had some... prize giving ceremony. Dont' really have photos. but I do have photos of my lovely TROHPY. :) and flowers. :)

Haha, I feel so... inflated. hahahahah!!!
Anyway, there was also the goofiest fencer award, won by WINSTON (I think). Gosh. He took off his shirt for like the billionth time... and there was also the most entertaining fencer award. Weird people... weird people. Just like these guys:
LEAP FROG!!!

Sarah tried to do it on me, but naw... I was too scared. Hahahahhaha...
Well that just about wraps it up for ... Z GALA 2006. Definately can't wait for next year's... :p
Turns out... I've got more competition for Paul than I originally thought. HAHAHAH Just joking. I just think he's cute. Thats all... I'm not as desperate as you think.
------------------------------------------